Wednesday, 23 March 2011

hits of the winter and an annoucement

Photobucket
from Lulu Letty

Ok, first the announcement, before I forget yet again to mention it. I'm going to New York for a week (leaving this Sunday, returning the next). I'm über excited, as I've never been before, and basically, have hardly even been in the US before. So, if anyone happens to live in New York or Brooklyn, or some nearby place that I don't know about because I have no sense of US geography, and is interested in a coffee or something like that, let me know!

Moving on, it's spring now, so I figured is was time for one of my seaon-ending recaps. I saved so many pictures that inspired me over the winter, and was pretty brutal in cutting them, but here are some of my favourite bloggy outfits from the last few months. Oh, and Maria at the top was my absolute favourite look of the entire winter!

Tonal Neutrals:
Photobucket
from Barbro Andersen and Style Bouquet

I'm generally a fan of colourful outfit, but if there's ever a time to retreat into a neutral palette for a bit, winter is it. I love how Barbro and Abi took some potentially blah colours, in navy and brown, and upped the ante with awesome silhouettes.

Cosy Patterned Sweaters:
Photobucket
from Letters from Maud and Idée Géniale

I know grannie-chic is all the rage these days, but I have to say that I like grandpa-chic the best. Especially when paired with some more bonkers patterns (Maud) or velvet collars and platforms (Mel). I guess this is also my French Canadian tribute of the post... next winter I'm heading to Québec to get lessons in how to wear great sweaters!

Beatiful Dresses, Awesome Patterns:
Photobucket
from The Clothes Horse and Lulu Letty

I'm actually not a big fan of floral print dresses (although I own my fair share--they're everywhere) so I loved the unusual patterns on these stunning dresses. The fleur de lis print on Rebecca's was eye-catching, especially when perfectly paired with the military jacket. And the waving-grass motif on Maria's? Gaaaah!

Red and Green:
Photobucket
from Calivintage and Selective Potential

This is the season of Christmas, after all. I loved Erin's use of bright green (especially on the headpiece). As for Tieka and her perfectly proportioned use of knee-highs and a Mickey Mouse sweater, I was going to have a hits of the holidays post, but didn't get around to it. But hers was hands-down my favourite Christmas look. Playful and colourful!

24 comments:

tasty moog said...

darn, i will be in brooklyn next month! i hope you have a great time in nyc.

if the weather is ok, you should check out the high line in manhattan. also, there is a new vintage/thrift charity shop in brooklyn (park slope) called life emporium.

Jenni said...

Oh, how fun! I've never been to NY. I can't wait to hear how your trip went!

Tanvi said...

Have fun in NYC!!! It's toooo far away to come for a coffee but I wish I could :)
from © tanvii.com

Nicole, Coco Maria said...

Oh, it's so exciting that you're coming to New York! I actually live in NYC (well, the bronx, but it's a part of NYC!) so if you would like to meet up for coffee or something that would be lovely! :)
I really like all of these outfits you picked out. Kind of makes me want winter to stick around a bit longer!

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) said...

Good morning Emily! I'm a new follower:) I decided that I should - since I'm always needed some new style inspirations and after this morning's post I see that we have the same taste! Great Pics! I love Lulu Letty!

Closet Fashionista said...

wow I love all the looks you featured!
And POO! Why do you have to be leaving on Sunday the 3rd! I'm on vacation until the 2rd and then I'm going to NYC Sunday morning to do some HP press stuff so I would have been able to see you...unless you're leaving Sunday night...haha
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Closet Fashionista: BAH! No, I'm leaving in the afternoon...lame. But I guess we can catch up in London in July! ; D Sooooo international!

CessOviedo said...

Oh so excited for you! NY is my dream destination, hope you have tons of fun!


<3 Cess O.
http://blog.cessoviedo.com

dimi said...

OH!! I love the big apple! I wish I could come with you! Have fun! (I'd contact Shybiker, he's from NY).
And all of the outfits are so cute! Kisses dear!

Sophie said...

Ooooh have fun in New York. Its my dream to go there, ill get there one day!
Love all the outfits, what I wouldnt do to raid their wardrobes!
Sophie
x

Lauren said...

It is my DREAM to go to New York! Have a wonderful time. x

Xavi said...

"Ves per on" que decimos los catalanes. I've discovered your wonderfull blog, reading this blogs. Erin is a nice lady (and with spanish roots!!!) with a wonderfull blog. Discovering new interesting people is amazing.

NRIGirl said...

Welcome to NY Emily!

We are about an hour from NYC. Please let me know if you need anything. Would love to accommodate you if an hour commute is doable for you. Let me know...

Regular Email: starlh at hotmail dot com
Phone: 973-626-3209

It would be fun if we can get a picture together or something like that - if only we could meet first.

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

Mel of Idée Géniale killed me with that outfit. It was one of my winter favorites, too.

You're going to New York! How exciting! What sort of things do you have planned to see and do? I'd totally take the train down to see you, but I don't know what my work schedule will look like next week. Have a terrific time exploring the city and uncovering all sorts of neat things :)

Amber Blue Bird said...

I wish I still lived in NY we could meet up but alas I live in boring old Connecticut now. Have a blast in the big apple

Rebeccak said...

Great picks - I love that dress of Rebecca's too! Gosh she always has such nice colours.

Enjoy New York! I am so jealous of all your travel! I'm sure you already know of all the best places to shop - but for art I recommend seeing the Frick Collection. (as well as the usuals - the MET etc). The Frick is nice an small - so not as overwhelming as the big ones, and has a great free audio guide - oh and an amazing collection of French Roccoco stuff. :)

sojourned in style said...

I am uber excited for you! can these clothes be any more irresistable. the first one is truly stuning. the mixed prints and cool sweaters were perfectly outfited. gotta love inspirational bloggers

deppa said...

Me encantaron las fotos!! es una excelente selección ;)

Y!!!! disfruta tu viaje a New york! que envidia siento! espero que sea increible y que te tomes muchas muchas muchas fotos!

Nos vemos linda :)

gee said...

oh have so much fun in NYC.
i love it so much there..i need to go ASAP!
love all the beautiful bloggers you selected.
xoox

Anthea said...

Thanks for this post. It's such inspiration for me seeing that Winter is coming up for me.

Hope you have a fab time in NYC. I can't wait to see the pics :)

Jazzy E (hivennn) said...

Have fun sweetie! (and take me in your suitcase!)
x

Krystal said...

nyc! nice! i can't wait to see your photos :) :)
and we are just moving from our little village to luzern!

A said...

Emily,

I wish I were closed to NY. I am just 11 hour drive if there is no traffic hassle..

Emmett Katherine said...

I love the phrase grannie-chic. Next winter if someone asks what the hell i'm wearing my response shall be grannie-chic.

really like these posts showcasing blogger's styles that I haven't come across through my own blog roll. Thanks :)

~Em K