Saturday 22 September 2012

neon signs and indian summers

Photobucket

Photobucket

Vancouver's having a glorious September (well, until today when it's suddenly cloudy and 15 degrees Celsius). Shona and I, to get out of our work/homework slumps, went down to Vanier park, where the Museum of Vancouver had an exhibit of 1920s fashion, another of the role of Neon signs in the cityscape, and where the park itself was appealing for a walk afterwards, among new abstract sculptures and the tents of Bard on the Beach, Vancouver's famous Shakespeare festival. The next night we were back there to see a play, a riotous, hilarious interpretation of The Merry Wives of Windsor set in Windsor, Ontario in 1968, in which Shakespearean soliloquies were frequently interrupted by country-style fiddle and brilliant versions of "You're Cheatin' Heart." Bard is one of my all-time favourite things to do in Vancouver and a definite summer/early-fall must for anyone visiting.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I'm feeling completely casual lately. All I want to wear are funky t-shirts and simple skirts. And since I packed for Vancouver at 3 am after three glasses of wine, my shoe-choice left something to be desired so sorry... there's going to be a lot more of these sneakers...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

11 comments:

Amy McStevens said...

Really great outfit and I think your shoes choice is uber cute!!I hope people are not giving you a hard time because you wear them. :o( I own 4 pairs of the same sneakers, (red, bright blue, plaid and a white pair)I bought them at softmoc. If you find them comfy and like them, wear them who cares what other people think. I find they look great and work fashionably with shorts, jeans, summer dresses and skirts. I found a cute orange plaid pair on ebay but they are not in my size. Here is the link
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KEDS-plaid-canvas-TENNIS-SHOES-Sz-8-M-NEW-BOX-45-00-/261100633166?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes&hash=item3ccacf7c4e

Have a Great Evening Emily! ;o)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Hey Amy,
Thanks! No one has actually been giving me a hard time... I just feel like I've been wearing these shoes all summer and not varying it up much for the blog. On the other hand I guess it's my blog and my life and my feet so I can wear whatever I want. ;)
Happy Friday!

Pretty Colourful said...

I adore this outfit! I'm feeling very casual lately too.

Something about the stripes with the autumn tone cardi, perfect! The shoes are so cute, too.

You and Shona are so sweet and Vancouver looks pretty cool as well!

Bon wee-end chère,

Virginie xo

Ashley said...

It's 16 degrees celsius here. Quite cold for a cali girl :) I think I am slowly warming up to it though (although terrified for the winter!)

Helen at THELOVECATSINC said...

love these photos!

from helen at www.thelovecatsinc.com // @thelovecatsinc

Aliya said...

That last picture is adorable!! And I love the shade of brown of your comfy-looking cardigan!

x Aliya
hillsidestory.net

Kezzie said...

Hey Emily! The Shakespeare sounds great fun! I really want to see something again, ever since directing A Midsummer Night's dream recently, I want to go and see things! Glad you had a nice time! That picture of SHona is lovely- she looks so happy!

Anonymous said...

Great photos :) I'm currently in Barcelona so I've been looking at your past posts for fun non touristy things to do, so thank you! We didn't realize La Merce Festival is on while we are here, my gosh it's crazy!!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Renee: That's great! And yes, the Mercè festival is craziness, but great. Have you been to the Correfoc? That's my favourite, though pretty intense!

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

The museum and a Shakespeare festival - sounds like fun to me. How was the 1920s fashion exhibit? I hope you gleaned some good inspiration.

It's been all casual for me lately, too. That's a great t-shirt you have there!

Neon And More said...

thanks for the great neon info :-)


Neon Signs