Monday 15 October 2012

coffee and comfort

Photobucket

Photobucket

These days I'm really into comfort, but the kind of comfort that's hovering on the brink of new adventures. It's about simultaneously embracing the old and new. In clothes for example, I've found myself stripping back, retreating to things I've had for a long time, or buying something new and then wearing it every single day. And mainly, just not worrying about it too much. I feel like I'm conserving resources, because I'm gearing up for a major shift in thinking, and I feel like it's going to be reflected to some degree in how I dress, so I may as well take it easy until I've figured it out.

Another aspect of comfort is my daily (okay, thrice daily) tea or coffee. A lot of people say they can't function until they've had their coffee, and I guess after at least a decade of caffeine I am that addict, but strangely it's never really been about the stimulation for me. I always turned to hot drinks because they're comforting, because they're something to hold onto that's warm (I'm usually cold), because their comfort is a reward when you have to study or work, because sipping them is something to do when you're stuck in a boring class. I could probably extend that metaphor of change somehow and say that I'm thinking of switching to green tea or something, but actually, after years in Europe, the only change is there's no way I'm paying $3.50 for a cappuccino, so I'm forcing myself to like drip coffee.

If you're ever in Vancouver, go to Trees on Granville by the way. The drip coffee is surprisingly nice, and they are routinely voted Vancouver's Best Cheesecake.

Photobucket

P.S. If I'm a bit rambly, that would be the jet-lag. ;)

11 comments:

Ashley said...

You bet your ass I will try to come to Barcelona. :) I'm thinking in the Springtime, so hopefully you'll be around?

I'm digging the laid back style, sort of a hipper 90s Seattle kind of outfit. And look! You are taunting me with the coffee while I am aching for a good cup. Ha!

Vergangenheitshang said...

Love this outfit and coffee, coffee shops.. :) Tea is also good but coffee is much better <3 And I'd love to come to Vancouver someday.

Virginie Bardot said...

I'm the same way with my clothes right now, and it's making me realize how important it is to have great comfortable basics in your wardrobe. Shoes you can walk around in to no end, sweaters that make every adventure warmer and comfy dresses.

Virginie xo

Anonymous said...

lovely outfit.. :)
Irene Wibowo

Closet Fashionista said...

I love this outfit, the colors are so nice and comfy! :D
And I am not a coffee drinker but my roommate is like that, she needs coffee or she is a poo poo head ;)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

lauren, curious constellation said...

I definitely need to find the balance between comfy and stylish. You seem to have it (:

Micaela // Drifter and the Gypsy said...

Best cheesecake? Oh gosh I'm going to have to head on over there one day.

Monique said...

I can't wait to hear more about this great shift! Yes, you're so right, a warm drink is so cozy and comforting. As a kid, my mom would give us steamed milk with a drop of maple syrup. It would get us to settle in and fall asleep in no time. Oh and about coffee, I'm an addict as well.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Monique: warm milk with maple syrup sounds amazing! I can't believe it wasn't a part of my childhood!

Amber said...

I turn to tea when I need a little comforting or some relaxation. Hot drinks provide a much more soothing feeling than cold beverages.

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

Hear, hear to comfort, old clothes, less worry, and the major shift. Similar thoughts have occupied my mind for a number of months now. I feel like I was getting there on my own, however slowly, but the unexpected shift in my life this year sped the process up, heightened my awareness, etc. etc.

I like the comfort found in hot drinks, too. It doesn't really matter what it is. The sensation of a warm mug in my hands has always been the best part.