Thursday 3 October 2013

when giants walked the land...

 photo DSC_0238_zpsa84c043e.jpg

 photo DSC_0257_zps63a9abab.jpg

 photo DSC_0223_zps8eb5444b.jpg

 photo DSC_0250_zps0cad5792.jpg

Do you ever have that feeling when you walk into a cathedral, and you're a bit awestruck, but you know it's just architecture, but you wonder how you might have felt about it walking in 600 years ago, with the ideas and prevailing beliefs of the day? How the vaults soaring above your head really would have seemed to be reaching to heaven, and how the air would be heavy and cold with mysticism?

When the parade of giants came through Barcelona during the La Mercè city festivals, I couldn't help but wonder how the people hundreds of years ago must have felt watching them, and the giant eagles and underworld monsters that are also part of the festivities, go by.

People still turn out in force, from children sitting on their fathers' shoulders, to grandmothers watching from their balconies...

 photo DSC_0195_zps12beac89.jpg
gratuitous shot of me drinking coffee to show off my hair

 photo DSC_0227_zpsd223294f.jpg

11 comments:

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

Nice dress.

I always think about that when I go into old places, so its nice to know other people do too. Its crazy to think how they would have perceived things differently than we do. It probably gave them a much more profound sense of awe.

Kitsune-kun said...

so cool!!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Kallie: Precisely!
Also, I'm annoyed I haven't photographed this dress properly and summer is ending and I keep dropping egg on it and stuff...

Closet Fashionista said...

Yea, I am always so amazed when I walk into super old buildings. When I visited Notre Dame I was in awe, it is so beautiful and just thinking about how old it is was just amazing :)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Ashley said...

Like Kallie said, I also think about the same thing. Maybe it's what makes us like traveling to think about these things in depth? :)

Xavi said...

Oh, what a colors!!!!
This is our city :) !!

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

Take a pic w egg on it, I mean yellow and purple look great together

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Xavi: yes!

Kallie: I may wear it for my birthday party.... so you may get pics with egg AND red wine on it!

Rubies and Emeralds said...

Love the new haircut and color - so chic! Always love checking our your new blog posts.

xoxo
rubiesemeralds.blogspot.com

Kezzie said...

I do think, out of all the bloggers I read, yours is the most wonderful and unique wardrobe! I love how I don't ever see anyone with your dresses and they are super awesome!!!x

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Thank you Kezzie! I bought this one second hand in Manhattan, kudos to Kallie for taking me to the store. Hope you're doing well, and hope to be back to reading your blog when I finally get internet!