Tuesday 19 February 2013

so sophisticated, and then less so

Photobucket

Recently I was invited to an art opening at MACBA, Barcelona's modern art museum. Well, I just walked in off the street, so I guess there's no reason why I couldn't have invited myself all these past years, but anyway, I felt posh. ;) And there was free champagne, which I imagine accounted for at least a portion of the crowd!

I love the MACBA building, which is like a white beacon rising out of a sometimes chaotic (but always alive) neighbourhood.

Photobucket
Rosa and her camera necklace

Photobucket

Then we headed down the road to Bar Fidel, which makes possibly the best sandwiches (and very good salads too) in Barcelona. I had a ham, camembert and asparagus baguette.

Photobucket

Then we wandered down into deepest, darkest Raval, to a bar I used to frequent when I was 23, and Rosa pulled strings to get us some horrible drinks that had bits of cigar in them!

Photobucket

Until there were only three of us, and it was time for ceiling-touching competitions...

Photobucket

...and Edvard Munch impersonations.

Photobucket

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the exclusive invitation!

Are you literally imitating Munch, i.e, was "The Scream" a self-portrait? No matter, you picture is way nicer than the painting..

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooh how fun! I've never been to an art opening before, haha...they seem so classy ;)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Gordianus: No, I suppose you have a point... I'm certainly more into my interpretation than Rosa though!

Natalie Suarez said...

so so cute! LOVE IT :)
x
x

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Raquel said...

Fun evening!

I remember going to MACBA and enjoying an exhibition of broken glass, they gave us special shoes to walk on it!

Kitsune-kun said...

looks so fun! kind of dying for that baguette right now...

Nina said...

This looks like a perfect day! Art and drinks, heaven. The museum looks amazing, Cardiff could really use a bigger modern art building but we'll make do with what we have for now!
xxx
Nina from little nomad

Kezzie said...

Ha ha, sounds great fun! Love the competitions! Nice hat by the way, where is it from?x

Monique said...

So fun Emily I love that last pic! MACBA looks awesome and can't wrong with free champagne.

Norbyah said...

this looks like such fun. i love gallery openings and events like this because they're filled with artsy people, free booze and you do feel posh! i had an evening like this in the summer when i went to an art opening in NYC courtesy of my art gallery working sister. so fun.

xo
n

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Kezzie: The hat is from Topshop Winter 2010 :)

Marzipan said...

How fun!! I love your hat!

callie said...

Oh goodness, this looks like SO much fun. I really need to get to Barcelona if only to eat that incredible looking sandwich! :)

Kelley Anne said...

This looks like so much fun...both parts! I've never been to a fancy art opening but it looks great and so do the Edvard Munch impersonations.

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

what a great idea to crash the opening. free champagne is always awesome & that place really looks awesome. I like your pictures of friends, you all look very fun & enthusiastic & i like that beret of course. what did you mean in your comment btw that "j seems to lost his name?" just because I shortened it? Sometimes I feel I am always saying his name and sometimes shorten it lately.
http://dusanabotswana.com

Ashley said...

I love that I can now read your blog and know the other people in the photos :)

I give you an A+ for that Munch impersonation. I think you've practiced that one before!