Monday 5 March 2012

absinthe

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Kallie

Photobucket
religion!

By some happy chance, whilst we were enjoying a glass of wine on Friday evening, somebody saw fit to mention the Absinthe bar... and half an hour later we were there. Bar Marsella is a Barcelona institution, and The New York Times even did a piece on it a few years back (fun fact, the girl in the NYT picture is a friend of mine)!

It's a place I am drawn to and avoid in equal measure. The first time I went there I had two of their cloudy yellow drinks, rode somebody else's bike home, and was bravely emaciated and wishing I were dead at a job interview the following morning (this in my wild youth). Subsequent visits were rife with comedy and coincidence. It may be the only place I've closed down, as the irate staff cursed and mopped around me while I stood in the middle of the floor, refusing to leave until my friend came out of the bathroom. Absinthe itself is a fairly revolting drink, until you've finished one and the burn has worn off and suddenly it seems like a reasonable idea to order another one. And nobody deserves an absinthe hangover. Yet La Marsella is so damn atmospheric that it's pretty much a required stop from time to time. It's old, it's dusty, in fact it's greasy, but it manages to be all of these things in a way that isn't precious or self-consciously nostalgic. The staff are something else. The neighbourhood has been dubbed "the dodgiest corner in Barcelona." (nonsense in my opinion). It's grand fun!

We were actually well-behaved that night, and only shared one absinthe so Kallie could try it, but the place was just as yellow, and fumey, as ridiculous as ever...

Photobucket
Yes, random men, I am trying to take a candid shot of the bar, thank you...

Photobucket

Photobucket

P.S. I was wearing quite a cute outfit which I'll show you in more detail next time...

Photos 2,3,4,5 by me, 1 and 7 by Kallie, 6 by Albert

31 comments:

Xavi said...

Near from Ramblas.... Just to "guiris". Isn't it?
HIP!!! I'm going to sleep. :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Xavi: nah, I know plenty of locals who love it too. La Marsella is a great (occasional) experience!

Fickle Sense said...

Cool, This looks like an awesome Absinthe bar. Very authentic. Here in Berlin, there are some real dodgey 'absinthe bars'. Coconut palms, white modern furniture, old wooden bar.... they just can't decide what they are.

Rebecca said...

Sounds like a definite experience, I don't think I've ever managed more than one absinthe at a time so I am impressed!

Monique said...

Truth or Myth? I hear if one drinks enough absinthe he/she can hallucinate...

Virginie said...

Sounds fun and dangerous at the same time! The way you described it kind of made me feel like I was there with you girls...

You and Kallie seem to be having a the loveliest time during her stay!

Can't wait to see more of the outfit :)

Virginie ♥

Annalise said...

You two look super cute and the bar looks amazingly fun. I've only tired absinth once before and we didn't have enough to let it get too out of hand. But I would love to visit a bar like this and dream of the green fairy after last call.
XOXO

Laura said...

I've never tried absinthe before, but that place looks so fascinating...I've never been there, obviously, but it looks like the sort of place where I would completely lose myself looking at all the little details!

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Natalie Suarez said...

i love this! so so awesome! xx

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Closet Fashionista said...

Wowie that place sounds quite interesting. I've never had absynthe before, not sure I would want to, haha...especially after seeing Moulin Rouge ;)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Amber Schmidt said...

When I saw Kallie in the photo I smiled.

Anonymous said...

Absinthe is something I've never tried and it is NOT on my bucket list, but this place definitely has 'atmosphere' in spades. Is there a bit of ceremony about the serving up of the absinthe?

Cat said...

The photo of you and Kallie looks like a movie still - you both are stunning ladies!

There's an absinthe bar near us in London and I have spent many a night staggering home from there with the Texan - it's powerful stuff!

Cat xxx
http://www.takecourageblog.com/

dr.antony said...

Looks so rustic with all those bottles on the shelves.I can feel the ambience,so tempting!

celia said...

Oh gosh it's been a long time since I last went to Marsella, last time I had to phone David to pick me up since I did not know where I was (I was in Universitat though haha). But you win for going the night before an interview!
I love the atmosphere of the bar though, it's like stepping back in time and you both look gorgeous in that last photo.

Eleni said...

Wow, that place looks amazing! i had to laugh at your "excuse me random guys" comment - strangers always try to ruin scenery shots! Ah, the trials and tribulations of blogging!

Shybiker said...

Seeing two of the cutest bloggers I know in one place is overload. Seeing you guys having fun together is priceless.

ana said...

what an amazing place!!!

callie said...

ahh absinthe is so insane. It makes me cough and die a little. This place looks AWESOME though. Dude, I'm so going to be visiting next. Prepare yourself! ;)

Ani said...

that place looks so amazing! I have never tried absinthe though. I am such a lightweight I don't know if I could handle it!

-Ani x

Annebeth said...

these indoor pics are quite fab! what does absinthe taste like? :D

Amber said...

sometimes the hole in the wall grimy bars are the best. I love that shot with the random dudes. How drunk were they?!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Annebeth: it's made from Aniseed, so vaguely licorice-y.

@Amber: Very ;)

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

Love your description of your past visits (reminds me of my time w/ the drink- did they burn it before you drank it? I was told you "have" to do that but maybe my bartender coworker was just bored ;) Love your description of the place too & the pictures certainly make me want to pay it a visit. I love the old wood everywhere & you two both look adorable. Impressive job only sharing one!
http://dusanabotswana.com/

Ashley said...

I love the old time feel of this bar. Looks like great fun! Although, I'm sure absinthe would do me in after just one drink :)

Akiko said...

Such beautiful photos! I really felt the atmosphere in the bar :)) xo akiko
Style Imported

Zane said...

it looks interesting, great photos too

Rosalind said...

The place itself looks intensely atmospheric!

Casey Lewis said...

Your blog has been one of my faves forever -- thank you for the comment! And I love reading about the adventures of you and Kallie. Two of the cutest web girls at once!

xx

Anthea said...

This place looks awesome! I am loving these pics :)

Anthea,
Embracing Style

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

"It's old, it's dusty, in fact it's greasy, but it manages to be all of these things in a way that isn't precious or self-consciously nostalgic." I really like the way you put that.