Tuesday 13 March 2012

a red herring without mustard

Photobucket

So this makes my second post title named after a Flavia de Luce book (the other one was "I am half-sick of shadows," and yes, I know that's also a line from Tennyson). I'm completely in love with these mystery books, featuring an eleven year old girl sleuth in the year 1950. Flavia reminds me a bit of myself as a child, except that I wasn't a precocious amateur poisoner. And I didn't live on a country estate--I just pretended I did. Anyway, this post had to get the title of the third book, which has a plot point turning on a statue of Neptune (and just look who's chilling behind me). And another plot point rests on fish, and just look what I randomly found by the artificial lake in the park at 8 am on Saturday morning when I went to take these pictures... eww and wtf?

Photobucket

In other news, I'm trying to think of other, more interesting ways to wear this blouse, but so far I'm not having much luck. Maybe due to the complete lack of skirts in my wardrobe... any ideas?

Photobucket
shorts: H&M Wateraid Collection, blouse: Desigual (gift from Albert), beret: very old, shoes: ebay, jacket: H&M, bicycle pin: gift from my mom, pile of dead fish: eeewwww.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

The blouse looks lovely with the shorts! perhaps wear it with a big swing skirt? xx

Franca said...

you have no skirts? I have millions of them! (just three with me in Belgium though) we should do a swap!

Anonymous said...

The books sound very interesting, exactly my type of books as a child! The blouse is just gorgeous so I think you could wear it with almost everything from denim to black and all colors in between!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Sophie said...

i think it would look cute with high rise pants. i like the herrings :)
sophie
princessrhyme.blogspot.com

Laura said...

What a fun top! I think it would look great with a circle skirt - maybe red or olive green?

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Closet Fashionista said...

Loving the outfit! I need to start reading more, haha, I'm too lazy :/
I say try wearing the top with a pair of colored pants! :D
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Natalie Suarez said...

SO SO CUTE! I love this! xx

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Katie Burry said...

Omgsh! I love those shorts! Too lovely! <3

Anonymous said...

Pillow cases or t-shirts can be made into skirts in a pinch. In our neighborhood, those fish would be shad and they make excellent bait for larger fish.

Arianne said...

Love your literary taste. ;P My favourite sister is the middle one. She's so hilariously deadpan, for all her head's in a writer's dreamland.

A from A + B in the Sea

Norbyah said...

oh, i think the blouse is really cute! you definitely made it work with your shorts and tights....but i agree with previous comments, definitely a full swing skirt or some colored pants. very cute, too.
xo
n

C.G. Koens said...

Finally - more common book ground besides Sherlock Holmes! ;-) The Flavia books were recommended to me by an older male friend of the family who has known me for most of my life and who thought Flavia reminded him of me as a child. She does. Totally. Except for the poisoning thing. And the country estate thing. ;-)

Amber said...

how in the world did those fish get there? way gross. I quite like the way you styled your blouse. It has such a great print, I dont think you have to do much to it to make it look good.

Stop by & enter my Vedette giveaway!

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

It's rather nice when post titles spring to mind so easily like that (and refer to something we enjoy!). I haven't read any of the Flavia De Luce books, but now you have me intrigued.

As for your question, I'd want to wear this outfit allll the time if it were mine, but how about also trying the blouse knotted over a solid colored dress? Perhaps that pretty AA one?

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Emily: That's a good idea! And something I already own, which is helpful!

Virginie said...

Oh yes, this look is fab! These denim shorts might be the perfect cut for all seasons, I'm lusting over them! The colourful blouse is amazing to, yay for being creative in the ways you are remixing it!!

Virginie xo

caitlin said...

that blouse is PERFECTION with those high-waisted shorts. genius, really.

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

my goodness you are just too photogenic, that first picture is perfect! Sounds like an interesting series, I'd put it on my "to read" list but it's too long as it is. & Not that I ever do it, but button ups always seen cute tied up in front as well.
http://dusanabotswana.com