Monday 14 February 2011

Flashback! Vancouver Valentine 2010

Photobucket

Photobucket
Left to their own devices, my eyebrows would be rather like my grandfather´s...

Valentine´s Day is not a day I typically associate with romance, which is a bit counter-intuitive I realize. For whatever reason, significant others tend not to be in the same country, and even if they were, it´s not my kind of holiday. Romance is for all year round, and not because the marketers tell you to be romantic.

That doesn´t mean I don´t manage to enjoy the day though. Valentine´s has always been a pleasant family day for me. My Dad buys beautiful cards every year for me and my mom and my sisters. My dad has the best taste in cards: they´re always covered in beautiful birds or gold leaf or something. And my mom gives us a chocolate heart, and we all tend to eat a nice dinner. Last year most people were away for one reason or another, so my sister Shona and I went to Commercial Drive in Vancouver, and got ourselves a meal of mussels. We then proceeded to one of Vancouver´s more kitsch coffee shops, full of naked Roman statues, and on that occasion hearts, and had lattes, and finished a calorific day off with my grandfather, my uncle and his girlfriend for Mexican food. All of which I would do again in a heartbeat over an evening of cheesy music and overpriced flowers (not that there´s anything wrong with those, of course).

Photobucket

This was pre-bloglife, but I think I´ve always been a style blogger at heart.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks to everyone who continues to drop by despite my complete absence from commenting. I don´t have my computer with me (which is amazing by the way) but I´ll do my best to catch up when I´m back!

30 comments:

C.G. Koens said...

That first meal looks oh-so-yummy! Now I'm craving some sort of muscle/pasta/oyster dish. Instead I'll be stuffing my face with a heart-shaped pizza tonight, thanks to Papa Murphy's Take-and-Bake and a husband who actually listened to me when I told him to skip the (overpriced) flowers and go with something we can eat (which means I don't have to cook) instead. :-) Hope you're having a great time!

**** said...

beautiful photos love the look, you have very good taste

Veronika Novotny said...

Oh, yay, that's my city! And you look gorgeous, love your outfit. Yes, I too have always been a fashion blogger at heart. Prior, to discovering fashion blogging. I was tormenting my friends on Facebook with outfit posts. Happy Valentines Day to you. xx veronika

Anonymous said...

Wish you a wonderful <3 day! xo
http://blog.cessoviedo.com

Closet Fashionista said...

Yayyy Happy Valentine's Day :D
Its more of a family day for me too, hehe...
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Ashley said...

happy valentine's day! It's always been a day for all the loved ones in my life, as well ;)

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

You are so cute. Your dad seems like the sweetest, I love that you use the holiday to spend time with your family! Happy Valentine's Day.

NRIGirl said...

Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures. Have a good one!

Velvet said...

Happy Valentine's day to you too! I really like the way you spent it last year.

Tanvi said...

Happy Valentine's day to you too! Hope you enjoy is equally this year!! !:)

Amber said...

your gramps eyebrows work for him but I dont they are a hard look to pull off :) your family valentines days sound lovely, thats what this so called holiday should really be about

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos. Yep, clearly you are a born blogger even without a blog :)

Have an awesome day!

Anonymous said...

oh my.. step away from the awesome Stef. Maybe you should have an excellent day instead?

Lesley said...

you are the cutest! love the playground shot. enjoy your holiday :)

Amanda said...

Love these photos! I like looking back at photos and seeing where I was a year ago as compared to now.

Happy Valentine's!
xx

Deppa said...

I love this post.
And lol, those eyebrows from your grandfather are very funny.
Also I love the pictures and the outfit.

See you :)

Anonymous said...

Look at the ceiling in that last photo! Frankly I think having a daddy who remembers Valentine's day for his daughters makes all the difference in the world.

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

the eyebrow line was just priceless! Valentines day should be a love of food. that is certainly the love of my life today. nothing is better than sweet delights and splendid desserts :)

Raquel said...

Hope you had a nice Valentine's day. I am not very fond of it either regarding romance but it is important to me because it is the anniversary date of me with my boyfriend, just for that.
I think you're right, you were always a style blogger at heart :) I'm liking both yours and your sisters looks!

Anthea said...

Your family traditions really sound lovely. I think it's so special. Haha at always being a style blogger by heart!

yiqin; said...

Looks like alot of fun! Come back soon :)

veronika, tick tock vintage. said...

haha, i love old-man eyebrows. they look like little wings.

my mom used always used to do special things for my sister and i on valentine's day. she made baskets with candy and little presents, and always mailed us cards (right to our house). i loved it!

k said...

aw i love that you were a style blogger at heart :) happy belated vday!

Diana said...

sounds like a perfect way to spend your valentines day! i was never a fan of it myself but i have learned to embrace every holiday ;) love your flashback pictures xo

http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

Stevia said...

a V-day with the family
how heavenly sweet :);)

I love your pre-bloggerlife pics!

<3
http://escapesweetest.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

awwhh I love these photos, your layering is so cute! your boots and socks are adorable :) love vancouver!

xoxo

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

What a wonderful way to spend a Valentine's Day! And, what wonderful memories to cherish. Celebrating in an ''unconventional'' way often leads to the best memories, no?

Haha, Erin (from Ip&Aud) and I used to snap plenty of outfit shots in our pre-blogging lives, too. Blogging just seemed like a natural progression ;)

Monique said...

Wow, I really love how you spent your Valentine's Day last year. It's wonderful to spend Valentine's with family. I visited my mom and brought her some flowers and told her she was my Valentine...like I did when I was little...she really enjoyed that.

From Suns To Moons said...

What restaurant on Commercial Drive?

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I think it was Stellas? We tried to get into one of the more hippy joints but there was no way that was happening. To be honest, the food wasn't that amazing; it just looked good.