Friday 25 February 2011

super-sexy valentine's outfit

Photobucket
Mwahaha!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I promise this will go back to being a fashion blog soon, but I felt that I couldn't let Valentine's pass without an outfit post so...
My boyfriend took me (well, us) to Andorra to go snowboarding for Valentine's Day. As I said before, I don't really celebrate it much, but we figured we would have done something decadent for my week's holiday so we might as well coordinate it. I took us out for dinner. And then we both staggered home with our bruises declaring "don't touch me!" Neither of us really knew how to snowboard before, so we were a bit sore to say the least.

Andorra is a curious country: beautiful scenery and quite an ugly little city. The economy could be described as a combination of Switzerland (skiing and tax evasion) and the duty-free lounge in Heathrow Airport ("shop till you drop")!

Have you had an eye full of that jacket yet? Now imagine it... in duplicate! Yep, I was wearing Albert's brother's jacket from when he was twelve, Albert was wearing his own from when he was fifteen, and apparently their mom thought matching sons was a good way of keeping track... The three days in Andorra were definitely the least stylish of my life (it didn't help that the snowboarding pants were all sold out in my size so I was wearing them three sizes too big). Hehe. Sometimes it's quite liberating to be deeply, deliberately unstylish for a bit. And it was certainly comfortable.

Photobucket

I was given this sweater about two weeks ago and have worn it at least ten days out of the fourteen. It was Albert's mom's from the seventies, and I am completely in love. I've stated before that I don't much like "basics" or "classic, key pieces," and that the Céline-esque collections make me really bored, but I think actually it's upper-class classic style that I don't like, and actually I really like folk pieces, or classic working-man's style.

In fact, while in Andorra I started reading the wonderful Travels with Charley in Search of America, by John Steinbeck. It's a memoir of Steinbeck's travels in the 1960s with his dog, and at one point he describes a group of French Canadian labourers harvesting potatoes in Maine:
"The women and girls wore pants usually of corduroy and thick sweaters, and they covered their heads with bright-colored scarves to protect their hair from the dust that rises from the fields with the smallest wind."

Note to self for next fall...

Photobucket

Photos by Albert

28 comments:

Alys said...

Such a comfy-looking outfit!
x

Velvet said...

It seems you had a lot of fun! Fantastic haha.

To be honest I love love wearing comfortable clothes (and I use to do it during week!).

Have a great weekend.

Closet Fashionista said...

Quite a sexy Valentine's outfit ;)
Oooh yes I love that sweater, I know what you mean about classic items, haha...I like some but not all...it can't be boring ;)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

Travels with Charlie!! Grant really likes that book too and I agree, his little description of the ladies is spot on for Fall :) and feelin you on how "upper class style" is pretty yawn inducing--bring on the bright colors and embroidery!

xx
MILK TEETHS

Unknown said...

Aww, it looks like you had such a fun trip! I've never been snow boarding and would probably be too much of a wimp to ever try it, so kudos to you :)
Also, that sweater is really lovely. I can see why you wear it so much, I'm sure I'd do the same! :)

Raquel said...

Looks like you had a great valentine's trip! I never snowboarded but I think I wouldn't be very good at it since I am horrible in a skate or rollerskates haha!
Anyway, that sweater looks like one my boyfriend got to himself recently that I was dying to steal if it wouldn't be too damn hot here at Madeira haha! I like classic items, but not a upper-class classic whole look, I have also love for some quirky things so I think it's a good balance :)

Deppa said...

Oh wow! I love the view and the snow! you are very lucky because Im here stuck in the beach :(

See you!

Monique said...

How sweet of Albert's mom to give you her sweater. Snowboarding is tough in the beginning but you'll get the hand of it if you choose to keep up with the sport. I've been doing it for about four years and each year gets a little better. Hilarious how huge your parents are! Have a great weekend lady.

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

Did you enjoy snowboarding? I tried it a few times when I was a teen and really wanted to like it because all my friends did, but it wasn't for me. And the jacket's not so bad. It's quirky ;)

Ah, I can see why you've taken a liking to that sweater. It looks like it has a nice, cozy heft to it. You can't go wrong with that oatmeal color either.

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

I've gone skiiing before and I must say that a temporary excursion like those hurt very much the next day. completely agreee with you. i also love the days where im "grubby" and far from caring about fashion. that sweater is so lovely. sometimes you cherish items that wouldnt initailly jump out at you.

Anonymous said...

Steinbeck's book is delightful, although it's been a bit debunked. Some scholar discovered that most of the time Steinbeck was flying around, with his wife and staying in hotels. Sigh.

I do agree about working class style. :)

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

That's SO sweet. x hivennn

dimi said...

Your travels and tales are sooo interesting! And I'm in favour of comfortable outfits! Happy (late) Valentine's Day - just kidding! The sweater is a "classic" piece indeed - have a nice day!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Terri:
I had no idea the book had been "debunked." How heartbreaking. But it is a lovely book anyway.

Unknown said...

i haven't been skiing in ages - that looks like so much fun!

and i love the sweater. look v comfy.

Anonymous said...

I've never been snowboarding yet - still a boring skier :) Looks like an awesome place for it!

Potatoe harvesting clothes sound pretty cool too :D

A Certain Vintage said...

the photos in your last few posts have been so inpsiring, especially the film ones! enjoy your break and all that powdery snow!
xox

Amrit said...

Emily,

Very good write up..specially sentence about 'ugly city'. That describes the place in one line. We are world apart from all aspects - color, gender, age etc...but we have one thing is common..if I like a sweater or a shirt..I would wear it for several days...unless someone forces me to wear something else. :)))

I really like your comment about 'thought that counts." I could not stop laughing. I can almost write a blog post with just that sentence.

Though mostly your posts are pictures oriented, I think your real strength is your writing skills. But I am not the best judge but for they are better than mine.

Take care and stay in touch. It does not bother me if you are late....

Shanna Maren said...

Beautiful sweater! Suits your hair very well, accordin to me.

Annebeth said...

Adorable write up, you are superfunny :) and you are one of those girls that look just so adorable with a pony tail and a simple sweater! girly pretty :)

Mrs. Yohapushpam Livingston said...

Dear Emily
I am NRI Girls mom.
I like you and your travel posts.
About Barcelona I first came to know about it during Olympics in which I enjoyed the fantastic opening ceremony which illustrated their culture. Now I am reading about so many inetresting facts through your blogs. I would like it if you keep it as a travel blog rather than a fashion one.This may be due to my age.
I wish you all the best in life.I enjoy looking at all your photos.I liked your blogs on the student protest in London and one of your ealiest ones in which you wrote about your grandma and the blogs where you mention your family and friends. They are all very much interesting.They show how life goes on in other parts of the world.keep it up.

Annalise said...

Looks like a really fun time. I haven't spent time in the snow since forever!
XOXO

Beti ♥ fashiontazja said...

ohhh so beautiful!!

Libby said...

What an awesome Valentine's present! Looks like so much fun! And I love your sweater! :)

Rebeccak said...

I wish you caught a shot of the two of you matching!! Haha... cute idea on his mothers part.

i kind of feel like you HAVE to look daggy when you're doing something new for the first time - if you looked all suave, people might expect you to be really good!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I should say it wasn't really that dangerous in those fields - we were equally likely to find snakes on our way through the brush at the beach - and spiders? Well my boy grew up in an area where you "check your shoes for spiders before you put them on each morning"! I will never forget the first time we stayed at his parents, I was just about to hop into bed, when he said - "no wait, you have to check the sheets for spiders, they like the warmth!" :)

Deppa said...

No sabia que hablaras español, me agrada haberme enterado, así no tendré que pensar en inglés para escribri los post ;)

Molly Page said...

That sweater looks cozy and fantastic. I'm so happy that you found each other. It seems to fit you PERFECTLY!


Leaving the House in THIS?!?!

Jasmine said...

ahh i have never even touch or feel snow before , skiing sounds so much fun :(