Saturday 31 August 2013

bloggers and babies in brooklyn

 photo DSC_0780_zps6223e38c.jpg

 photo DSC_0782_zpsca685871.jpg

When I was in New York for a week two years ago (my first visit), one of my favourite mornings was the one I spent having tea with Monique, the super-stylish lady behind the blog Tipa Tipa (the photos are some of the favourites I've posted on my blog too). My last day in New York I headed out to Brooklyn to meet up with her again. Since the last time I'd seen her in person, I'd been following the changes in her life on the blog, seen her gorgeous wedding and envied her impeccable vintage style, but I was reallllly excited to meet the newest addition to her life, her beautiful 7 week daughter Elisane. We went for a delicious lunch at a nearby café to catch up on all the little intervening moments in life. Elisane was the best-behaved baby I've ever met; in the three hours we spent together, she cried once for about 5 minutes and even sounded a bit apologetic about it!

We chatted about past gossip and future plans, the things you inherit from your family, travel and community, and I just hope I'll see them again before another two years have elapsed. Oh, and Monique made fun of me: "congratulations, Emily, you can push a stroller," or "you haven't dropped her yet," which makes me think I might need a bit more practice with babies...

 photo DSC_0786_zps81811d62.jpg

 photo DSC_0791_zps3e37a081.jpg

I also envied Monique her fire-escape view and, let's face it, her whole apartment.
 photo DSC_0796_zpsbb811e66.jpg

8 comments:

Annebeth said...

that baby, so precious!! and such a beautiful name as well!

Penny said...

oh girls - I think I discovered Monique from that post of yours :) I m happy you managed to meet again!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Penny: Yayy... she's really been one of my favourites since I found her blog. :)

Norbyah said...

no, no, no!! i love this! i must have stumbled onto monique's blog from yours, but i love to read about both of you and what you're up to on your blogs....this is so great to see you together. i'm hoping to meet up with her next summer....and someday, when you're in a place i can reach...you!
xo
n

petal and plume said...

what a beautiful babe! your blog is oh so lovely.
xx

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Norbyah: Awww! I definitely hope we can meet up one of these days, and I look forward to seeing you and Monique in digital format together sooner!

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

oh how fun you got to meet up w/ Monique again! You both look as beautiful & stylish as ever. I am petrified of dropping babies, but glad you did not. Her little one is so precious. And fun to hear you wore the blouse today, I'd love to see pics if you ever get any.
Cuddly Cacti
Mitla Moda

Monique said...

It was sooo good to see you again. I can't believe it had been a couple years! It felt so comfortable and familiar. Come again!