Sunday 20 May 2012

barcelona by night

Photobucket
In a bar that makes its own "cava" or catalan sparkling wine

Photobucket

Photobucket
feasting on beef ham, artichoke hearts, manchego cheese and of course "pa amb tomquet" or typical tomato-rubbed bread.

Barcelona was the city where I truly learned to love the night. I think "nightlife" as such first hit me when I lived in Glasgow, but in Barcelona staying up all night is really an art. Here, you might meet your friends at 10 or 11 pm, have drinks, and then proceed onwards until all the darkness has consumed itself and the sun is peering at you bemusedly at 7am. It has to do with the balmy, humid summers, when night is really the most pleasant time to be out, and when you don't need so much as a cardigan even at 4am. I'm not so much of a stay-out-all-nighter anymore (I like to do things with my mornings), but I still love the feeling as you walk free and unencumbered down dark streets, laughing with friends over some idiocy, and the city rises and pulses around you, and belongs to you.

That's all still to come as it's currently raining and blowing a gale, but even in the winter "Bar"celona is giddy, happy, and eclectic.

Photobucket
wandering by the monuments at night

Photobucket
a bar in Gràcia has a party-friendly depiction of Picasso's Guernica. I think that's about as appropriate as "Favela Chic," but it was kind of clever...

Photobucket

Photobucket
In the new Moritz Factory (Moritz is the oldest beer in Barcelona), which I'm sure will be getting it's own post one of these days...

Some other posts with snippets of Barcelona by night:
Seeing Stars
Pastis and el Gòtic
Absinthe

18 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

That sounds so fun! I don't think I would be able to be out all night, though I'd have to try it at least once ;)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Natalie Suarez said...

soooo stunning! LOVE IT :)

xx

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

caitlin said...

i do think there is something about summertime in the city that lends itself well to staying up all night. watching the sunrise from a rooftop will always be one of my favorite things... :)

Helen at THELOVECATSINC said...

this all looks lovely, so jealous, i want to go to barcelona!

from, helen at http://www.thelovecatsinc.com

Valerie Enríquez said...

Barcelona by night sounds so fun and vibrant. I love Cava and those glasses make it look even more delicious x

Amber said...

that sounds like a great time although I'm a bit of a grandmother too and probably couldnt stay up past midnight

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

I'm setting aside a huge chunk of time to catch up on your blog. I mostly stopped reading them while I was stressed about moving etc...but seriously...yes. All of a sudden it was 4am in an absinthe bar!!! Or the Moritz Factory :)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious

Georgia
xxxxxx

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

I'm sitting here positively salivating over this glorious post! The food (!), the scenery, and the description of the night life sounds wonderful. I've heard great things about the city, but now I have a glimpse why.

Penny said...

I think I would love nightlife in Spain :) - it seems so similar to greek culture (in the sense that you can go out at night and enjoy alcohol and nice conversation without necessarily getting drunk) -and so different to UK!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Penny: Definitely! I completely agree and I'd love to experience Greek nightlife!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Kallie: We were a bit rough after a few days in a row of it though, weren't we? That's the only problem. ;)

Fufuquices said...

Dear Emily, Barcelona is famous
for its bars,
with the delicious "tapas"
and also have good prices!
I worked at a travel agency and Barcelona was a destination for young people and who enjoy the night!
I loved the photos, the food seems to be very tasty!
I hope your visit to my blog!
Kisses and a great weekend!

Laura said...

Well, now you've got me craving artichokes! Barcelona looks like such a fun place to visit :)

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You make the nightlife sound so enchanting...and then you sleep all the next day.

Ashley said...

Same reason why I love the night life in Turkey.

"Bar"celona...hahaha...you cheeky thing you.

AutoMadchen said...

Great Barcelona post! What is the name of the bar that makes its own cava?

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Sarah-Maria: It's called "El Xampanyet." Basically "The Cava Place." : )