Sunday 29 April 2012

barcelona by day

Photobucket
Parc de la Ciutadella

Barcelona is one of protagonists in my life, but less so on my blog, which is unacceptable. To tell the truth, during all the years I've lived here I've gone around with a camera trying to capture what makes the city so magical for me. I'm not in the least satisfied with the project so far--ultimately our attachment to cities is emotional rather than visual and I expect I'd have no more luck if I tried with Vancouver or anywhere else. Nonetheless, here are some recent photos showing reasons why I love Barcelona... I expect a "... by Night" post will be coming along at some point!

Photobucket
Sometimes you wake up in the morning to music and the sight of horses, goats, and greyhounds parading down the street.

Photobucket
And giants

Photobucket
laundry flapping in the morning breeze

Photobucket
the park, reverberating with practicing drumming circles, lindy-hop get-togethers, pic-nickers, highly competitive table-tennis players, and who-knows-who else, on a sunny weekend afternoon.

Photobucket
More parades of giants

Photobucket
going for lunch on Sundays and taking along a whisky or grand-marnier flavoured cake from a local pastiseria.

Photobucket
burgeoning social protest: Plaça Espanya is blocked by protesters on the morning of the recent general strike.

Photobucket
Creative uses of public space: children use Rambla de Raval's famous Botero cat sculpture to get a better view of the stage during a public concert.

Photobucket
...and sunset on the beach.

18 comments:

TheHeadlessMannequin said...

I think you've managed to capture the magic of Barcelona in these pics...I certainly want to hop on the next plane there :) I've only been once but absolutely loved it and I'm rather envious that you get to wake up to that beauty every day :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Thank you! I certainly get frustrated by my perceived inability to capture it. The truth is that, like anywhere, you get immune to waking up to it... but I force myself to appreciate it now and then!

Closet Fashionista said...

IT looks so beautiful there!! I think these pictures are great!
But I know what you mean, it's so hard capturing a place you love because you never feel it matches up :)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Valerie Enríquez said...

What a great post! I think it's tough to capture a city, regardless of where you live (unless it's a super small town) but you did a great job of showing the Barcelona locals. They are such a vibrant bunch, but also very relaxed. The sea was so incredible there and that little funicular that goes overhead to Montjuic made me appreciate it even more :)

Shybiker said...

Great pictures. You've given us a sense of the place.

Anonymous said...

I think you've done a great job capturing the beauty of Barcelona! Definitely so much to see and to enjoy, love the dress you are wearing is adorable! Can't wait for night pics!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Natalie Suarez said...

amazin!! love it :)

xx

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

rose japan said...

holá Emily, mui hermosa la ciudad

e su vestido és lindo

besos rose jp

Rosalind said...

What I really enjoy about your photos of 'places' is the way you focus in on the details that make those places special and magical to you. Here, for example, is a Barcelona seen through your observation of its human activity (including the flapping of washing).

lauren, curious constellation said...

It just seems to have such a sense of community that makes my heart swell! It also seems like something out of a Disney fairytale which I also think appeals to me (:

Franca said...

Love these pictures. I remember the cat! When we were in barcelona, there was also a general strike and there was signs and people evrywhere. I do quite enjoy a proper strike, so much more impressive than what they can rustle up in the UK.

Unknown said...

Breathtaking photos, I completely understand what you mean about it being more your emotions that make up your view on a city. You look so adorable, the sunglasses and dress are perfect, now can I eat the cake? x

Celia said...

You always make me feel a bit guilty about not appreciating Barcelona that much, you make it sound so nice!
Also I love that dress, you look so lovely :)

Ashley said...

No, I think you captured the magic quite well!

Now, don't be surprised when I come visit ;)

Julia Topaz said...

EW A TRAVEL POST

UNFOLLOWING

Julia Topaz said...

seriously though, I know what you mean about our connections to places being emotional rather than visual. Especially in memory, I often imagine a place to be cleaner, prettier, and brighter than what it actually is if I have fond memories of it--- the best is when you travel back to said place with someone who's never been there before and leading up to it you're like, "OH MAN, you're gonna love this, it's gonna be soooo great," and then you get there and they're "ummmm yeahhhhhh." Though, obviously this isn't quite the same for a place like Barcelona, which would obviously be very beautiful to visit in person (I've never been!). Also, the prospect of walking out the door into a parade of giants is pretty much the most charming thing ever.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Julia: Oh, that totally still happens with Barcelona. Mostly because I think people will get bored like I do with some of the main tourist sights (very famous buildings, etc), when actually that's what they came to Barcelona to see, and they're a bit confused when I drag them down some random alleys to some random restaurant...

Parades of giants are a happy medium though. :)

Kathryn Woods said...

I totally understand that connections to places are emotional and that is hard to every capture or convey. I've never been to Barcelona, although I'd love to, but you've made it look rich, colourful, dynamic, diverse and passionate - just as I expect it is.
Happy travels
From Brisbane, Australia