Thursday 2 December 2010

hits of the autumn, part 2

Photobucket
from cocorosa (inspiration much)?

Photobucket
from Diversions (or Shallow Mallow)

It's definitely winter now in London. It snowed the day before yesterday and it has been bitterly cold (especially during another student protest against fees yesterday). With that in mind, it's time for the second half of my autumn round-up. Last week I focused on the bright and sunshiney side of Autumn in a post heavy with shades of red and gold. For the second half, you have the flip side, a love of washed out whites and creams, all on top of one another. I don't know what it is, in the summer I'm not very fond of pastels or florals, but I like them increasingly as we head into winter... especially with sweaters over top, like Stef above.

And here's some other things I liked this fall:

Long hair and short hemlines:

Photobucket
from The Cherry Blossom Girl and Fancy Fine

Two great, simple, yet polished looks. I also like how each has run with a colour that's pretty typical of fall, but with a quieter, more muted version of it.

Ridiculous Pinings for Unexpected things:

Photobucket

This one's a bit silly. I really, really, really don't like leopard print. Ever. In any form. Except that I really like Carrie in this coat. She had another picture, wearing this coat and drinking from a china tea cup, and I immediately became obsessed with recreating this gloriously sixties image myself. Except that I don't even have a china tea cup, let alone a leopard print coat, and if I did have one of those I would never wear it due to my intense dislike of leopard print... so I'm just posting it here instead, and letting this obsession die.

Small but intense bursts of colour:

Photobucket
from Waking Life and Lulu Letty

So, you know, I love yellow, I love Caitlin's blog, I love florals for winter... that was easy. And I also really loved Maria from Lulu Letty's early days (well, there only were early days, actually) as a redhead, and thought the bright, freshly dyed hair looked amazing with a wooly hat of the same colour. So we're back to red and yellow again, I guess. ; )

Last but definitely not least...
Bundling up:

Photobucket
from Orchid Grey

I'm a big fan of shawls, although all of mine are sadly in a box somewhere in Vancouver. The best use of a shawl I saw this fall had to be Julie's belted green one. It kind of makes me want to improvise with that airline blanket I stole from the plane, but I guess I'll leave the look in her capable hands until next year!

35 comments:

k said...

I loooove when you do these roundups :)

Anthea said...

Excellent choices again Emily. Very inspiring!

Unknown said...

wow they all have such fabulous style xxx

Fleur-de-Lis said...

WOW, this last look is really incredible! I've never thought about doing that :)

ching said...

wow these are awesome ideas to try. thanks for sharing.

Amrit said...

Read in newspaper that domestic airport is also closed. Too early for snow..but it happens......feel of Canada.

It is been cold here too but does not snow here too much...

Keep snow in Europe please.

Closet Fashionista said...

Such great looks!!! :D :D I love both the ones with shorts :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@ A: one of the airports is closed, yes. I guess it'll open tomorrow, but it makes me a bit nervous about buying my Christmas flight, which I have to do soon.

Diana said...

so gorgeous! i love these posts!! :)

http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

Jan said...

Yay for shawls in winter! Especially tartan ones under funky belts!

Many thanks for your kind words on my Closet Audit. Believe me, the situation is dire (I got married this year and have to learn about sharing a wardrobe - boo!) and I'm a total sentimental packrat so this is going to be emotionally traumatic. Regardless, my Nanny's mink is going nowhere, even if it means I have to sacrifice some of my less-valued treasures. And heck, who knows?! I might venture to wear it out in public for the first time ever... wee!

Ashley said...

I really dig the sixties as well...I'm noticing that influence here on your blog :)

Again, I'm loving some of this photography...wow, I'm blown away by Lulu Letty's picture, I kinda wanna recreate it :)

Anonymous said...

I am in awe when someone rocks the leopard print because usually I am no fan either :)

Thanks for including me :)

Amber said...

wonderful round up!

Lady Flower said...

I declare the contest.
Competition concerns Rihanna's outfit.
The prize is to put your blog address in your links and advertising.
Welcome.
On the blog you will find more information.


The leopard coat is gorgeus.

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

Stef has such an amazing way with color, doesn't she?

Oh, and the belted shawl look is killer. LOVE it. MUST try!

NRIGirl said...

Had to chuckle at the last paragraph you wrote... I am not alone... Did it once :(

SG said...

You look beautiful in all the pics.

Stephanie said...

Okay... all these people have GREAT HAIR!

Come enter my holiday giveaway for bakers twine and manila tags!

Tanvi said...

You know I honestly enjoy these posts. You some how pick all the 'best' stuff out and it is a treat to seem them all together. I am also loving the long hair and short hemlines. Something really sexy about the combo :)

Anonymous said...

Must agree with you about the belted blanket and the leopard print.

Diana Mieczan said...

This is such a great round-up
I love long hair, bangs and short hemlines:)
Have a great Friday and stay warm:)
Kisses

GAZTE BAT said...

The pictures are awesome!! I love the second one It´s lovely :)

Sorry I know that the music is too lowd but I don´t know how to change I will ask how to change it

http://charmingflopy.blogspot.com/

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

lovely collection of fall inspiration! i'm in love with the brilliant colors and the soft ethereal florals! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

zs closet said...

great inspiration pictures!xx

www.zscloset.blogspot.com

Orchid Grey said...

thank you so much for including me in these posts, you do such a great job of rounding up these inspirational styles, I love Lulu Letty's look!

Raquel said...

Great choices Em! I loved Carrie's, Alix's and Caitlin's looks.
Oh I wished I was in London now, at least I'd have some snow, since all I get here is rain and cold mehh.

Jenny Morris said...

i really like that your pulling together these inspiration photos! im really excited to check out all of these new blogs! your carnival pictures below are so beautiful - i love the whimsical effect and your darling checkered blouse :)

FASHIONMADEMEFUNKY
www.fashionmademefunky.blogspot.com

eagle-eye-cherry said...

I like the all blogs you presented, actually I am a big fan of them

CHIC Sensibility... said...

I love these shots!

Diary of a Young Designer said...

they are all just so lovely!!

xo
Sophie

devin leiva said...

I love the photos & i L O V E
LAYERS!!! =)
xo
DOLLMEUP

Lenne said...

Thanks for sharing! I feel inspired again (:

Some Korean Website Highjacker said...

just popped over after seeing your comment about being from Vancouver on idee geniale's blog. had to say hi! i'm a fellow Vancouverite too.

i've heard from friends about the beginning of snow in England now, is it true the city almost shuts down when that happens? like you actually get snow days off work for a few centimeters?! how awesome!

great post, lovely inspirations. i'll be following for sure. ♥

Anonymous said...

i la la love these round ups! it's so inspirational.

xx Kenny
fivetwocharm.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

some lovely looks you've chosen for your autumn roundup! i love the idea of wrapping up in a shawl & belting it in place, it looks great on julie! i also love carrie's coat & the whole leopard print idea but i don't think i'd be able to pull off a coat, so maybe just a flash of leopard like a scarf or gloves perhaps :)

http://messyourhairup.blogspot.com