Friday 2 September 2011

amsterdamned if you do, amsterdamned if you don't

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oops, we're in mega-post territory again! ; D

My flight back to Canada was from Amsterdam, so Albert and I went for a mini-break two days before. I'd been to Amsterdam years ago (the same time as the first Brussels trip), but it's definitely a city which merits a revisit or two. We stayed in an amaaaaazing hotel which Albert found on booking.com not too much, and then our room got upgraded for some reason, and all in all, we spent the night like kings. I spent the following night in a pod, but more on that another time!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Back in 2004, I thought Amsterdam was amazing fun. There were other cities on that trip I found more beautiful or more culturally appealing, but Amsterdam definitely took the prize for a pure good time. And get all your minds out of the gutter; by a good time I mean we got tipsy in the Heineken brewery, rented bicycles and rode them around the park (tipsily, of course), and spent a long time in the Van Gogh Museum giftshop. I bought a pen. I'm not big on souvenirs.

These days I'm a stick-in-the-mud and my idea of a good time travelling is doing what I do at home--going out for lunch, stuffing myself to the brim, going for walks, people watching, going for coffee, drinking wine and so forth. And boring my companion with my theories on bicycle lanes. Luckily, Amsterdam is pretty ideal for all of these activities too. The amazing hotel was close to the museum district, which is also a very pretty residential area full of sun dappled streets, novelty shops (we even found a Catalan shop, hehe) and of course, cafés.

I would run away and live in Amsterdam in a moment. Unfortunately, they all speak perfect English already, and I really don't think they need any bicycle experts either... so what's a girl to do? Miss you Amsterdam!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I normally consider myself if not glam, at least a reasonably stylish day-tripper, but do please ignore my appearance here. We caught the train in Germany that morning and it absolutely poured on us (and my suitcases) on the way to the station. Have seldom been to drenched in my life. Took one look at my bangs and just gave up...

Photobucket

Photobucket
(this is the "living room" of the hotel bedroom!) Stay tuned for the pod though. ; D

Photos by Albert and I

P.S. I can't take credit for the title... I wish I could. It comes from a t-shirt I own. : )

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always come up with the funniest titles! It's awesome when hotel upgrade your room for no reason, that's what I call a good service, Amsterdam is definitely one magical place!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

That's a damn good title. Too bad you can't take the credit for it ;)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Emily. Hehe, indeed!

lauren, curious constellation said...

I have such a soft spot for Amsterdam!

Unknown said...

Amsterdam looks just beautiful, it has never really appealed to me much but it looks charming. Love the title too hah x

Michelle said...

It looks so summery and lovely. Definitely want to head back (maybe next summer). Thanks for the comments on my blog while I was away, funny how you had been to most of the places. Always interesting to see others opinions of them.

Xavi said...

Nice, nice, nice. Why am I always gealous of your trips x-( ?
Van gogh musseum is amazing. I fell in love when I visit it.

Jul said...

Amsterdam seems beautiful and looks like a perfect place to live. Those photos are amazing!
I must say I love your striped t-shirt and your sunglasses :)

http://lifeisaromanticpoem.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

One of my best friend's just came back from Amsterdam and she said that she would move there tomorrow if she could =]
It's on my 'to visit' list =]

And I love your coloured top =]

Lee x

Rebeccak said...

Ah! you just made me realise I haven't booked my flights there yet! Thanks!

Eleni said...

You're the only person I know who didn't spend a weekend in Amsterdam just getting stoned in cafes, so I must congratulate you! You have now made me want to visit Amsterdam, very much :)

Penny said...

wow the hotel room seems majestic!when I visited Amsterdam, I stayed in a small hole and you could smell joints coming from all other rooms!awful!
and you were so lucky to have a blue sky (at least most of the time) ;)
so many nice pictures Emily!

Anonymous said...

Amsterdam looks really nice, I've never been (partly because my boyfriend can't ride a bike) but it almost makes me want to go.
Booking.com is the best, I also got a room upgrade last time I booked through them and it made me feel so fancy too :)

Closet Fashionista said...

I want to go there!! It looks so amazing *sigh* Nowhere in the US is that cool (well...nowhere I've been ;) )
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

The Semi Sweet said...

Are you ethical for sourcing the title of your post to your t-shirt:) Love this post so much! For some reason I've always fantasized Amsterdam since I've been clamouring to go for years now. One of these days it'll happen.

Shybiker said...

Finally, a beautiful exotic place on your blog that I've visited!

I spent a long weekend in Amsterdam once. Coincidentally, it was 2004. How odd that we might have been walking past each other on the street then. (I like to think about coincidences and connections like that.)

Elise said...

It looks gorgeous, I'd love to visit there :)

caitlin said...

ohh amsterdam. that is one place that i definitely wish i had "done" when i was still in college, just because i know my experience then would have been totally different from any experiences i might have there when i finally go.

i love all of your bright colors! the striped tunic and the yellow of your scarf are startlingly stunning :)

oh, and yes to being nonacademic. one of the many reasons i've been rethinking the possibility of teaching...

Rebecca said...

Yeah Amsterdam! Very much one of my favourite cities. I love how compact it is and easy to get around by bike too. Good work getting an upgrade, kind of curious about the pod though.

sweet harvest moon said...

Love Amsterdam! Such a wonderful city...

http://sweetharvestmoon.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Okay your title made me crack up :)

GOD I WANT TO GO HERE!!! But yeah, I'll be going for the red light district.

Kidding :)

dr.antony said...

Lovely pictures!
I had been there once,and I love the place.

gee said...

perfect title.
i have been pestering my husband to take me to Amsterdam for my 30th bday. (which is more than a year away..so i still have time to pester him more.) it would be amazing..love these photos you took. i was actually staring at them and daydreaming. :P
have a wonderful weekend love.

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Wow, you do get around! I'm so jealous! Wonderful pics!

Unknown said...

Amsterdam looks like such a great place! I've never even been out of the states, but whenever I get around to visiting Europe I'll have to put Amsterdam on my list of places to go. Can't wait to read about the pod! Haha :)

Tilly said...

Ohh I love Amsterdam! We have lots of friends over there so it's like a second home!

I'm much too scared to even attempt to ride a bike there! oh man they're worse than cars! It's so hard to have the bikes AND the cars on the wrong side to compete with over there and has resulted in me nearly being ran over about five times!

you look lovely and not travel weary at all! The hotel sounds awesome tooo :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Tilly: I remember the first time I was there being sure the tram would run me over. The bikes are kind of a menace, but I think it's amazing how Amsterdam has been able to become so bike friendly!

Anonymous said...

i looove these pics, so beautiful!!
xoxo

Monique said...

So great to see these Amsterdam photos. The last one of you in the hotel room is stunning. Talk about a biking culture eh? Coincidentally, I was in Amsterdam back in 2004 as well I was a school teacher and it was Easter break. I also rented a bike and checked out the Van Gogh museum. What a great pit stop on your way to Canada.

Laura said...

These pictures are beautiful, I would love to go to Amsterdam one day!

Laura
whitewinters.blogspot.com

Catita said...

cool to see nice pictures from my current city! I guess as a tourist this city has a lot to offer! And I loved you post about the yotel!
xoxo
Catita

Fashion Activism said...

Wow... you've inspired me to put Amsterdam at the top of my 'travel want' list! beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

Complete and utter Amsterdam envy. It's been too long.. :)